Thursday, November 24, 2011

Nickelback! The Other Canadian Band

Nickelback's last album "Dark Horse" brought the Canadian band down to a more simpler sound, thanks producer Mutt Lang. Now, I'm not a hardcore fan of the group but I must say that I really enjoyed "Dark Horse". When I learned that the band was releasing another album I was kind of excited.

Now I know the guys have been dubbed as one of the cheesiest band lyrically along with a variety of other criticisms that at times seemed a bit unfair, but truth is they must be doing something right. That being said this review is pertaining to the band's latest project entitled "Here and Now". This album maintains a bit of the sound and musical approaches that were developed in "Dark Horse", however there are some "Eh" moments that made me feel a bit awkward when listening to the album. My least favorite track on the record is "When We All Stand Together. To me this song was like a poor interpretation of Chumbawuma, Men at Work, and Toto "On crack"! The arrangement is really lame and goofy lyrically. It was just dumb. The rest of the album consists of fun topics centered around boozing and finding some hot stripper that is willing to give you a good time provided you pay for it. "Real original boys!" Now I'm not saying that I hate this album, but I can't with good conscience give it anything higher than a 3 out of 5 stars. If you like this Canadian Rock Troop go for it, but you can't say that I didn't warn you.


If you want to hear the album in its entirety before investing in it, check out Spotify.com and sign up for a membership. This is one of my chief resources for finding new stuff and letting you know my thoughts on new releases. Enjoy the rest of your Turkey Day vacation and be on the look out for My Christmas Album picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment