Wednesday, November 30, 2011

If Eminem is The Jedi Master Yoda, and Yelawolf Was My Pupil, I'd be Pissed...

Look, I'm not a hater of Hip-hop. In fact I like it, but I'm not that nuts about a lot of the commercial stuff that is out there. I mean how many times can you write tracks about whoe's, bling, picking up whoe's at clubs, big booties, and fake grills. Isn't there more to that style of music than just that? Honestly!

That brings us to the latest creation of that Eminem's tutelage Yelawolf. Now before I commence with my review of his debut album "Radioactive"-which was produced by none other than Slim Shandy-I need to give you a little more background. Not on Yelawolf, just how I got the album.

So I was at Tar-gzey (that's the cool was of saying Target) and was combing through their CD section when I came across "Radioactive" for $10. Now amidst my moment of impulsivity, I stopped myself and thought...
..."I can listen to this new album on Spotify to see if I like it before I buy it." DUH! So here I am now previewing this new little album of the supposed next White Rapper Superstar. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...
...Look I don't doubt that the guy is talented in some way, and I think that it's really cute that Slim took on a big brother role and helped this kat break out, but the truth of the issue is that this album is really the same old rhymes that really make me not like a lot of commercial hip-hop.

The first half of the record is like a like a Dirty South super reunion. I mean really! Dirty South was the worst thing to happen to the hip-hop movement. The same fast pace beat free of cool samples (provided you have legal permission to use the sampled track :) ) and some lame, lame lyrics. I mean if this kid was to be the next big thing, I have to say that I'm not really impressed. For me the best song on the album was "Hardest Love Song in The World". That track had a cool guitar riff looped throughout, and really gave a cool authentic Hip-Hop sound. Clearly there was no expense spared in hyping this album with celebrity. "Radioactive" features rhymes by Kid Rock, Lil John, and Eminem himself.

If there was a rating scale on my blog I would provide Yelawolf's breakout album with 3 stars. It's really not all that great. If there is something that I'm missing in this whole thing, please let me know. I'm willing to learn. Thanks again and if you haven't yet, check out Spotify.com to set up an account and sample new releases of all your favorite and undiscovered artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment